A question about kernel module and system power-shutdown

Dear all,

I've just installed a Vanilla kernel (last stable version downloaded from www.kernel.org) as an exercice in order to better understand how to compile linux kernel. I loaded the .config file of the current kernel (Redhat kernel) in the menuconfig in order to restore all already activated options and I just added the support for NTFS (read and write). I proceeded all instructions as was explained in the HOWTO and apparently it works pretty well. However, there is something a bit strange. Whenever I want to shutdown the system from the command line, I run

# shutdown -h now

the option -h actually shuts down electrically the computer. Yet, by this new kernel (fortuantely I conserved the old kernel!) I have the following output:

# shutdown -h now
.  here I see system processes and daemons being shutdown as usual
Turning off swap                                 [ OK ]
Turning off quotas                               [ OK ]
Unmounting pipe file systems:                    [ OK ]
Halting system...
md: stopping all md devices.
shutdown: hda
System halted.

So as you can see at the last line we see "System halted.", but right after that, the computer halts and nothing happens, whereas I excpect it to be shutdown electrically. But this does not happen and I have to push manually the power button.

Is there a particular module that had to be activated in the new kernel that I forgot?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh
:slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:27 PM ----------

Ok, finally I found the answer by myself!

I checked the config file and there were several ACPI options activated (y). Surprisingly I had ACPI=off in /boot/grub/grub.conf, I just changed it to ACPI=on and it worked pretty well.

Regards,
Dariyoosh
:smiley: