A question about backup.

Hi all.
There are some SPARC mashines. What method can be made from them backup (slices or entire disk) in field conditions if I have only the laptop with win xp pro and the internet?

That depends on a lot of things.

Do you have any sort of SAN, tape drives, or robots? How many machines do you have? Are you backing up the machine configuration or user data? Are you asking what commands/tools used to backup a disk slice?

These stations are in different places (approx. 10 pieces). I should make backup all system (e.g: 5.6, 5.8, 5.9).
There is a method to make backup, not opening a station cover? For example connected to a workstation on cross-cable?
I use the dd command & ufsdump | ufsrestore commands. But for this purpose I should have always with myself new disks.

for the above to work, you cant have just a win xp system right?
one way is to share out your unix system via NAS, then share it till you back it up. If you want to backup on solaris using the ufsdump, you need a tape drive connected to the system.

If you want to backup on solaris using the ufsdump, you need a tape drive connected to the system.
[/quote]

You`re right. Please advice me a compatible model tape drives- DAT (inexpensive) with U5, U10.

Native solaris commands to `backup` data :- ufsdump, dd, cpio, tar, flarcreate, cp,

Backing up data is a large subject and can depend on lots of different things reliant on type of application, data and what your backing the data to e.g. tape, network, cd, etc etc.

Some companies create thier own backup scripts using native commands, some use third party applications, netbackup for example, to do all this for them.

Once you've chosen your backup command / type, then you need to understand the application, to then work out how / when to backup it up. Oracle database is a good example, as you just cant take a backup of this running it the backup wont work if you re-install it. So, an understand on the application, what things are rtunning as you back up the data is required.

Once your backing your system, where do you put the data ? well, you can have locally attached tape / cd / devices, or you van pump it over the network to another server's device. Or you can copy it on to additional storage. So, you need to decided where and how you've going to place it somewhere.

Stepping back from the mechanics of backing, you need to define / understand your companies backup requirements / sla's / demands. Some companies need data kept for 7 years, or have a minium resotre time, so you need ot work out what backups are required.

So, backups are easy to achieve, but you need to do some ground work.

Hope this helps.

SBK