a process that never stop

Dears all

i have an AIX box in which i am facing a problem with a process as below:

/usr/dt/bin/dtexec -open 0 -ttprocid

and each time i am killing this process with "kill -9" then it run again after a while.

any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.

The same process, or a different PID each time? What is the parent process?

you should change the entry in the inittab-file...
probably that entry is stating now "RESPAWN". It will respawn every time you kill the process...

Dears

it is the same process respawned again with a different process ID with the same PPID which is for "/usr/dt/bin/dtsession" when greping for that PPID.

also i searched the inittab but i could not find anf entry for this PID or even it's PPID.

please advice.

It's part of a CDE desktop. Log out all users using CDE and login with ssh/telnet and it won't be there. Next you need to find out who's it is, does everyone get the process, or is it specific to a single user.

First off why do you want to kill the CDE? All this is is an XWindows desktop and unless you have users with an X station or an X emulator such as Hummingbird Exceed running on a PC no one will be able to use it. Also as I do not know what form of RS6000 this is I can only surmise that the session you are seeing is the console running on an LFT (Low Function Terminal) plugged into a graphics card.

I would strongly advise not to kill it or as someone has suggested not take the entry out of the inittab as this will cause all sorts of problems when you re-boot!

this process seems to efftect other running processes and they can not be started unless i kill that CDE-related process. this process is just related to the root user.

should i logoff any logins from the console terminal??

thanks

How do you mean it is affecting other processes in which way? Which platform is this please?

On reflection I may have advised you incorrectly. The dtexec command should not be running and certainly not without a ttprocid entry. I take it this is using a lot of CPU time. Please cat the inittab and paste it in your reply.

dear johnf

this is an IBM RISC/6000 system with AIX 5.2

i have a number of processes running and sometimes i need to restart those processes whenever i am making changes. but those processes will struggle to start unless i am killing that ugly process which wasn't there in the past.

dt:2:wait:/etc/rc.dt (the entry from inittab for the dt daomon)

my processes also have the word "proc" in their command line.

below is the dtexec process but where can i find the entry related to ttprocid

root 70164 14204 0 15:06:45 - 0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtexec -open 0 -ttprocid 6.15fh76 01 35700 1342177279 1 1 0 192.168.117.20 4_8531_1 /usr/dt/bin/dtscreen -mode blank

OK can you please cat the /etc/rc.dt and paste that here please. The process is not ramping up CPU time so I cannot easily see why it is causing a problem with the other processes! Even more mysterious is dtscreen is the screen saver. Can you identify which server is 192.168.117.20 please?

Dear

it is the same server that i am facing the problem in. but it seems that the terminal that is directly connected to the console port of the server cam not logoff so how can i force the logoff without restarting the server.

later i will provide the rc.dt, i dont have access now.

thanks for your help

What do you mean by the console port? Is this a dumb terminal console or a normal PC terminal (Colour screen)?

sorry wrong place