32bit / 64bit issue with x86 solaris

i have solaris 10 x86 64bit installed on my pc (dell 3100). i then decided to move my hard drive to another pc (dell 4600). I noticed that each time i boot up, the OS show as 32 bit (instead of 64bit) and i can't even get past this stage to the login page.
when i moved it back to dell 3100 it work just fine.
pls can anyone help.

during the OS installation, you have installed it as 64bit. Thus it will not work on a 32bit processor

it worked on 32 bit processor (in dell 3100) but it won't on dell (dell 6400)

try a "reconfigure" boot on the new mashine. just type "reboot -- -r" after boot as user root.

I can't get to the login page

can you boot to "failsafe" mode? if yes, try the reconfigure from there...

I did it but nothing happen. i still had ethe same prob. there was an issue with the network adapter (iprb0) and the virtual machine which was already installed.

I thought if i do "sys-unconfig" it will work. but i am scared to loose data. what do you reckon.

i perceive the problem here is that the hardware has changed significantly. do you think if i do 'sys-unconfig', this will be resolved without loosing data.

Thanks

Sys-unconfig isn't going to help as it doesn't address 32/64 bit kernel selection.

Did you check if the Dell 4600 CPU and mainboard support a 64 bit OS in the first place ?

Thanks for your response. I did not not check at all i never thought it was going to be this complicated.

pls can you tell on how to check this. I suppose the main board should support 64 bit OS.

Well, you have to be sure.
Some CPUs support 64 bit and some other dont. Same for mainboards.
This is not really related to Solaris.

You need to find out your precise CPU reference and check with Intel or AMD.
You need to check the mainboard compatibility with the vendor (Dell).

I realise that dell 4600 uses a p4 which is 32 bits. but the OS solaris i installed is an x86 64 bits. i just hope this will not conflict.
pls can you help throw light.

There is a single Solaris for x86. It supports both the 32 and 64 bit architectures.

thanks