11.2 not shutting down completely

I just installed this 11.2 ver and when I tell it to shutdown it takes for ever then just hangs with this just a little bit of that red line left to go, then it just sits there like forever until I get tired of looking at it then force a shutdown by holding my power button down until my laptop shuts off.

what is this thing doing taking so long to shut off? How can I fix that?

What hardware is it?

I have it installed on a HP elitebook 6930p -- toshiba HHD's

The first place I'd look is the ACPI and other power settings in the BIOS of the machine.

If you are shutting down the Oracle Service in Windows then you need to check the shutdown
option that was selected when the service was created. Try either of these commands in dos.
You can either specify the sid name or the service name. Also take a look at the link below to
see the command options.

ORADIM -EDIT -SID <sid name> -SHUTMODE immediate

or

ORADIM -EDIT -SRVC <srvc name> -SHUTMODE immediate

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/win.111/b32010/admin.htm#i1006074

No windows on this laptop, Just Linux and a copy of Solaris 11.2 that is sitting dormant right now.

When I installed it. It took completely over the system. the grub they used made user of that. Unknown to me they are just like Windows in the "its only me" way of life when it comes to using there system. (even though one has to jump through hoops to get it to dual boot)

The HDD on this laptop is ext4 format other then what Solaris made its partition.

Right now I am using Linux on here, with Solaris not being used or in any kind of set up to be used. until I find time to mess with that Grub thing and figure out how to boot into Linux too with it. Grub2 makes things harder too in my option as I my knowledge base about these things is still in a learning pattern.

As far as Solaris shutting down it is like a fresh install on a bare system. So what it did to make it put itself into a wait state or what ever it is in because I cannot see a screen telling me what it is really doing just that splash shutdown screen with the red line that hangs when it gets to a point about 10 to 20 % LEFT TO DO.

I did notice it takes for ever to boot up too, Linux is much faster. Even Windows I fear is faster at boot up time and shut down time even than Solaris is.

I'll look in to this when I find time again.

thanks for your help...

I don't know any "polite" way of installing a bootloader, except possibly providing backup boot sectors for the ones mangled.

Take a look at your shutdown script and see if it is doing a normal shutdown that does not kill user sessions as a part of the shutdown. You will probably see a /etc/rc0.d/K01dbora linked file that points to your /etc/init.d/dbora file.

You can also manually stop your database the next time you shutdown and if that doesn't do it it must be something else. Have you tried to fsck your file system?

Assuming you didn't choose for Solaris to use the whole disk, your Linux installation is still there and you can chainload its boot loader from Solaris grub. If you are unfamiliar with Grub2, you can simply put a legacy grub configuration file in /rpool/grub/boot/grub.conf. Put the chainload directive there.
Its entries will show up at the end of the Grub2 boot menu.

You can switch to text mode, verbose and debugging boot mode. Modify the line that shows something like:

$multiboot /ROOT/solaris/@/$kern $kern -B console=graphics -B $zfs_bootfs

to

$multiboot /ROOT/solaris/@/$kern $kern -B console=text -kv -m verbose -B $zfs_bootfs

This will help you figuring out why it is taking so much time booting. If you disable the GUI, you might also see error/warning messages during the shutdown.

Solaris first boot after installation is much longer than the remaining boots. That is because a lost of smf initialization tasks are done at that step.

If your Solaris installation takes forever to shutdown, it's no surprise any other OS is faster to do the same ...