0511-432 mksysb ulimit

Hi guys,

i'm a student in IT specially AIX.
I'm from france and i'm not very fluent in english.

My problem is about create an mksysb from a NIM MASTER

0512-005 mksysb: Backup Completed.urred for rootvg.
 than thThe backup command completed with errors.
backup: The messages displayed on Standard Error contained additional
        information.ent disk to run the backup.
                                                  COMMAND STATUS

Command: failed        stdout: yes           stderr: no

Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below.

Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg.

Creating list of files to back up.
Backing up 88248 files.............................backup: 0511-432 A write error occurred: A file cannot be larger
 than the value set by ulimit.
backup: 0511-079 The backup media may be damaged.
        Use a different disk to run the backup.

0512-005 mksysb: Backup Completed.
        The backup command completed with errors.
        The messages displayed on Standard Error contained additional
        information.

I checked my ulimit is unlimited and i also checked /etc/security/limits file

Hi,

maybe this error occured:

IBM IV28679: MKSYSB WITH VERBOSE FLAG MAY FAIL WITH 0511-432 0511-079 APPLIES TO AIX 6100-08 - United States

Regards

i didnt understand how to do this thinks :

Move the ulimit call in mksysb command to also cover verbose option

Nonetheless, please provide the output of ulimit -a from the account you are trying to do start the mksysb with.
Also please show the output of oslevel -s , thanks.

i'm trying this from the root user

root@NIM# ulimit -a
time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         131072
stack(kbytes)        32768
memory(kbytes)       32768
coredump(blocks)     2097151
nofiles(descriptors) 2000
threads(per process) unlimited
processes(per user)  unlimited

root@NIM# oslevel -s
6100-04-00-0000

Ok, please show the type of filesystem being used, where the output image file of the mksysb will be placed to with lsfs /yourfilesystem .

File system type is JFS

root@NIM# lsfs /dev/mksysblv
Name            Nodename   Mount Pt               VFS   Size    Options    Auto Accounting
/dev/mksysblv   --         /export/mksysb         jfs   41943040 rw         yes  no

Ok, there is the culprit. The problem is, that JFS does not support files larger than 2GB. The message from mksysb is confusing.
You should recreate the filesystem as JFS2. JFS is out of date and has lots of limitations. Your OS version is far above the use of JFS.
There is an option when creating a FS "Large File Enabled" or something similar, but iirc, there is no conversion possible.
I would recreate the FS as JFS2 and always and only use JFS2 in the future. Don't use JFS anymore.

1 Like

ok thanks.

I will do the changement and let u know about the result

---------- Post updated at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:31 PM ----------

I delete my previous fileystem and create a new one for the mksysb with jfs2 type.
But i have still the same problem :

root@NIM# lsfs
Name            Nodename   Mount Pt               VFS   Size    Options    Auto Accounting
/dev/hd4        --         /                      jfs2  5505024 --         yes  no
/dev/hd1        --         /home                  jfs2  262144  --         yes  no
/dev/hd2        --         /usr                   jfs2  4194304 --         yes  no
/dev/hd9var     --         /var                   jfs2  786432  --         yes  no
/dev/hd3        --         /tmp                   jfs2  262144  --         yes  no
/dev/hd11admin  --         /admin                 jfs2  262144  --         yes  no
/proc           --         /proc                  procfs --      --         yes  no
/dev/hd10opt    --         /opt                   jfs2  786432  --         yes  no
/dev/livedump   --         /var/adm/ras/livedump  jfs2  524288  --         yes  no
/dev/exportlv   --         /export                jfs   12582912 rw         yes  no
/dev/lpp_srclv  --         /export/lpp_source     jfs   13107200 rw         yes  no
/dev/spotlv     --         /export/spot           jfs   13107200 rw         yes  no
/dev/tftpbootlv --         /tftpboot              jfs   13107200 rw         yes  no
/dev/mksysblv   --         /export/mksysb         jfs2  41943040 rw         yes  no
/dev
root@NIM# smit mksysb

: A file cannot be larger than tccurred
he value set by ulimit.

The backup command completed with errors.
        The messages displayed on Standard Error contained additional
        information.
                                                  COMMAND STATUS

Command: failed        stdout: yes           stderr: no

Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below.

Backing up 88248 files......................backup: 0511-432 A write error occurred: A file cannot be larger than t
he value set by ulimit.

Hm ok, then you should try to install the appropriate APAR fix from the link Xray has posted or update to at least 6100-06.

Hi,

have you tried to run the mksysb without the option verbose (-v)?

smitty mksysb
List files as they are backed up?                   no

Regrads

Now it's working

After i changed my filesystem into JFS2, i restarted the system, then the mksysb was sucessfull.

Thank you for you help !!

2 Likes

Strange you had to reboot the system, but thanks for the feedback. That's the way to go!