-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5

Dear experts,

I have done a re-installation of sco unix openserver 5.0.5 and managed to create users. The problem am facing is that of one user logging in more than 5 times. How can i overcome this problem. the system give the error below.
-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5. how do i change the parameters to accept more users.

Regards,

Njoroge Joseph

Do you have a backup of the previous installation?
The files /etc/conf/cf.d/stune and /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune contain changes to kernel attributes, either restore these files and re-link the kernel, or run:
scoadmin->hardware-kernel manager->Tune Parameters
then relink the kernel and re-boot.

1 Like

Thanks JGT,

I tried to do some amendment on tunable parameters but didn't achieve. The scenerio is:-
1.) One user cannot login more than 4 times.
2.) whenever i try to print big reports the print job disappears but small print jobs prints.
3.) sometimes when trying to login system responds with systems does not close the session completely.
Which parameters am i supposed to change on tunable parameters. am running foxplus 2.1.1

regards
Njoroge Joseph
:confused:

---------- Post updated at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:36 AM ----------

Thanks JGT,

I tried to do some amendment on tunable parameters but didn't achieve. The scenerio is:-
1.) One user cannot login more than 4 times.
2.) whenever i try to print big reports the print job disappears but small print jobs prints.
3.) sometimes when trying to login system responds with systems does not close the session completely.
Which parameters am i supposed to change on tunable parameters. am running foxplus 2.1.1

regards
Njoroge Joseph

The maximum number of files per user is a count of all the files open by a user regardless of the number of sessions.
If an application needs a 100 files, and the user signs on 4 times, then you must set the number of files per user greater than 400.
How are you printing, the error that you describe sounds like an early version of VisionFS.
There are several patches for Foxplus, have you installed them?
ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/SLS/ app336c, and app336c.ltr

JGT,

To be precise, the systems am running in this box are copies of another unix box which is running okay under user called Info. I just transfered all the systems to the new installation. Suprisingly, another user called casual prints okay. What could have caused this. Also the delay in logging in whereby it end up giving the error fork failed - too many processes

Regards,
Njoroge Joseph

What hardware is this running on.
Are the mtune and stune files the same on both machines.