-- Need help from a AIX guru --

Hi alls

I don't see any solution and I need to have feedback from other people...

On a test machine (AIX 5.1) I've installed OpenSSH software on it (with openssl, prng, etc...) like is described on IBM AIX Docs. To control the installation I've rebooted the machine and all was ok (CDE was Ok), yeah was funny.

After that for Security raisons, I've modify the file /etc/inetd.conf.
To control I've rebooted the machine againand following things appears:
1.CDE didn't come up -> (Tooltalk Message could not be started).
2.refresh -s inetd -> (Timeout waiting for command response...)

Ok, I saw me that it's a problem with /etc/inetd.conf and I put it the old one but the problem is the same!

What's could be the problem....it's like AIX starting something after a few minute or something like that.
What could I check the problem?

Thanks and regards,
nm

At End: should I really install AIX again????

it ALMOST sounds like a name resolution issue since anything that tends to stall that long ends up being that. hehe :slight_smile:

did you change anything else like, say, the machine name, in the process? is the machine's name resolvable? when you type 'nslookup', do you get a valid name server? what does your /etc/netsvc.conf say for resolution order?

when checking name resolution make sure you run all tests ON THE AIX SERVER. for example, run all your pings from the AIX box if you can AND ping by NAME only (not IP address.. and yes, that also means to ping the machine itself and ping the name given from the 'uname -n' command) to check resolution.

am i asking too may questions? :smiley:

It could be a problem like a name resolution but ....I don't know where!!
Before I've changed the IP address, I did a 'rmtcpip' on my server.
1.Yes, 'nslookup' return me a valid name server.
2./etc/netsvc.conf is so configured : 'hosts = local,bind' and /etc/hosts is correct!
3.ping by NAME from Server are Ok and NAME given from 'uname -n' are Ok too.

Questions are always good.... :wink:

Could it be a problem with Service, like... cmsd, dtspc or ttdbserver (etc/inetd.conf) :confused:

Thanks

ttdbserver in /etc/inetd.conf is the "tooltalk database server". You applications all complain about not being able to use ToolTalk.

cmsd is your Calendar Manager Server daemon. If this is commented out, you will not be able to use the CDE Calendar.

dtspc I'm not 100% sure of. All of your CDE stuff is in /usr/dt*. If enabling tooltalk gets you further along, but doesn't solve your problem, I'd look at re-enabling this next.

my only guess would be that if you suspect a service from inetd to be causing problems, you may consider turning everything back "on" and turning off one service at a time to try and eliminate which service may be causing the problem.

also, when did you change the IP address? before the first reboot? did you change the machine name too? just curious.

chances are, if your problems started at the change in inetd, i'd stat there.

Yeah, it could be a possibility...
I've changed the IP adress, change the machine name and then I've made the first reboot!

I've restored my machine but the problem (DT_TTSESSIONS timeout) appears again....
I've checked by Google or a few forums but I doesn't had seen a document about problem with DT_TTSESSIONS, Have IBM doesn't papers, documents about that or elsewhere???

It's really a big trouble :mad:

where do you see this error?

does it stall for a long time?

exactly what doesn't work right now? people can't start a desktop from their PC? the desktop won't start on the console?

it hard to imagine that a restoration of the system would remain broken. when you restored, did you use the same IP address and machine/host names as the original installation (back when it DID work)?

i don't know what DT_TTSESSIONS is, but at first guess, i'd say it has to do with CDE.

This error is on the machine console, we use only telnet for remote connection.
I put login and password in CDE then the following message appears : "Starting the Common Desktop Environment". After a few time comes a windows "ToolTalk Message Server Could Not Be Started" with DT_TTSESSION_TIMEOUT.
I've checked all files (/etc/hosts,resolv.conf,netsvc.conf,and so on...)

This problem occurs a few days while I was configuring /etc/inetd.conf. The backup was on december (same IP and hostname) and was ok, now the restore has the same problem... I don't understood that!

This problem despairs me :frowning: because I waste time to seek a unknown error.

Thanks

Im pretty sure it's a name resolution issue.
I've had the same with 5.2 either the /etc/resolv.conf was erronous or some change was made at /etc/hosts, didn't really remember which were the source maybe both ...

yeah... i'm tending to think the same.

do you absolutely need to run CDE on your console? if not, you may want to try and run 'dtconfig -d'. this disables the desktop.

Dumb question. After you put back the stuff in /etc/inetd.conf, did you SIGHUP inetd (or reboot)? inetd isn't going to reread the file unless you tell it to by sending it the HUP signal with a "kill -HUP ..." command.

Yeah... I've made a reboot!
I don't need absolutely the Xsessions but I just want to make CDE running like before. I'm interessting to find the cause of that problem!

So, I've controlled many times /etc/resolv.conf /etc/hosts and so on whitout the find a mistakes...
Perhaps I should install AIX again!

Well, try smit mktcpip and check every parameters there (hostname, route, dns...), if everything is fine then update by clicking ok... that seems odd but anytime we do change related to network/hostname we need to rehresh it for the change to take effect...
Thought that might help :o

yeah... everytime there's a X/desktop issue, 9 out of 10 times, at least for me, it's network related.

as andryk says, the mktcpip may be a good place to start.

if you DO reinstall as a last resort, the best way to ensure that it doens't happen again is make sure you don't change the computer name and/or IP address after install. :slight_smile:

I think that's a network problem... but I didn't find it!
I'll install my server again!

Thanks a lot for your help and advise :slight_smile: