/ is full

Hi Exprts,
I faced this problem several times, which / file system is full (near 100%) and "proc" under that is the main reason.

i don't know how to reduce the size as all directories under proc seems important & other dir/files under / are OS related & could not be removed.

could anyone advise me for the possible solutions on making the / file system free.

Thanks,
--nikk

Type "df -k" and look at the result. Removing files in other filesystems won't help if / is full. You've got to remove stuff in the root filesystem. Note that /proc is a separate filesystem. That right there should tell you that looking at /proc is barking up the wrong tree. What's worse is trhat /proc consumes no disk space at all. It's a psuedo filesystem. Psuedo means make-believe. So ignore /proc and the other filesystems...if root is full, you've got to address that by looking at root.

If root has filled it's because someone wrote some files there. So a reasonable approach is to look at a recently written files in root...

find / -mount -mtime -10 -type f -print | xargs ls -l

The -mtime -10 says written to less than 10 days ago. You may need to adjust that.

If proc does not use any space so the only thing which remains are opt,platform,... which are OS related & does not grow daily.

I didn't consider other files in different file systems & the only thing i focused is whatever i could remove directly under / which is nothing.

• could any other reason cause the size growth of / ?

• In addition if i want to add space to / what should i do?

Rgrds,
nikk

What about /var? Is it it's own filesystem, or is it part of the root filesystem.
Can you post the output of df -k

Did you try Perderabo's find command?

Nikk...

You need to list your filesystems with sizes...

/(root)
/var
/usr
/opt
/home
/stand

Most likely these are not under the Filesystem / and should not be imho, but can be on the same disk as /.

My advice is to look for any devices in / that you may have inadvertently created a tar and > it to a device name instead of > to a tape device...

I ahve seen it where folks do this:

tar -cvf ... ... > /dev/rmt/0mn or similar to a disk device by accident...

Try this command in /

du -k |sort -rn then go to the dirs under / that are large and narrow down where the large files are located....

Kelam,
I found out the reason, under /dev one link was created like (rmt0 -> /dev/rmt/....) which was not a right link & i removed that,
i don't know how it had been created cause the client are not familliar to run any unix command.

One more thing was .CPR which had very large size, i executed
cat /dev/null >.CPR to make its size zero.
now / is ok.

Thanks,
--Nikk

Yes, I think since /proc is a pseudo, it's always 100%. Also, core dumps are occasionally dumped to / . They can be very large. Depending on your distro, you can select a different filesystem to write core dumps, automatically delete them, or set conditional space rules.