/ is full HELP

Hi..

i am having a problem, for some reason my / directory is 100 % full.. and i didn't install or anything on it.. it has almost 2 gig on thr root directory.. maybe i am missing some concept because i do not understand why it get full. it is happening on all three of my system.. and i always get this send mail error message.. any suggesstion will be highly appreciated.. thank you...

Bill

What is the current configuration of your
file systems (i.e. df -k)?

I'm assuming if you did not install anything
recently, that something must be writing data
to perhaps log files or something.

Again, it would help to "see" the current
distribution of your file systems.

HI.

Here is my informations....... is there any way say you get error it will be writtin in the /var/adm/messeges file.. im not sure.. so thanks for your help..

Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0d0s0 1269409 1016424 202209 100% /
/dev/dsk/c0d0p0:boot 10296 1669 8627 17% /boot
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab
swap 698564 4 698560 1% /var/run
swap 698576 16 698560 1% /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0d0s7 4333009 792899 3496780 19% /export/home

Hi..
Sorry...

I did not go through souldier's last post.

from the df -k out put /var nd /opt that comes under root file system there is no separate file systems for this......
that's why root file system is getting full.
thanks
praful

I agree - check /tmp and /var for huge temp / log files... I had /var fill up on me once when someone was trying to break in to my home machine - they generated so many log files, that I ran out of room, and it caused me some problems. Since then, I've always made /var a seperate filesystem...

Also, you can try :
du /var > var.du
du /tmp > tmp.du

Now read the var.du and tmp.du files... it will show you where you're using the most space. Look for big numbers, then investigate the directory it's in.
(I think most systems will represent the total size of each directory in kilobytes with du)

Hope this helps.

Man..

thanks for your help.. i really appreciated.. thanks alot yall

The general temporary fix when a file system is full is to:

(1) Take a look at the usage with du and look at the top level directories (or second tier) that are the 'big hogs'....

(2) In another file system with plenty of space, copy the entire directory contents over, preserve permissions, etc.

(3) Force a symbolic link between the new directory in the other filesystem to the original offending directory in the problem filesystem.

In this technique, you are moving the troublesome directory and all files to a partition with plenty of space and using a symbolic link to point to the same directory so no system changes are required. This will free up large portions of space (and solve future problems) until you upgrade or add new drives, etc.

Be careful !! Beginners should move files/directories that are not shared libs or other 'more trickly' moves.... and should stick to relocating less tricky directories such as logfiles (that grow quickly!!) and similar files.....

HI.. Neo..

okay........ thanks for your advice man.. i really appreciated dude..
When i am anaylazing my dir this is what it looks like..10 /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWgnodb
5452 /var/sadm/pkg
2 /var/sadm/system/data/.virtualpkgs2
38 /var/sadm/system/data
4 /var/sadm/system/admin/services
72 /var/sadm/system/admin
172 /var/sadm/system/logs
284 /var/sadm/system
4 /var/sadm/install_data
4 /var/sadm/softinfo
2 /var/sadm/wbem/logr/notFirstTime
17864 /var/sadm/wbem/logr
6 /var/sadm/wbem/log
17872 /var/sadm/wbem
1778 /var/sadm/smc/properties
732 /var/sadm/smc/codebase/services
9244 /var/sadm/smc/codebase/tools
18 /var/sadm/smc/codebase/xcproviders
13320 /var/sadm/smc/codebase
460 /var/sadm/smc/lib
12 /var/sadm/smc/toolboxes/smc
34 /var/sadm/smc/toolboxes/this_computer
26 /var/sadm/smc/toolboxes/images
76 /var/sadm/smc/toolboxes
15636 /var/sadm/smc
1458 /var/sadm/prod/com.sun.DiskSuite/160547044
1460 /var/sadm/prod/com.sun.DiskSuite
3238 /var/sadm/prod
48 /var/sadm/patch

most of the stuff is packages.. So do you think i should move it to another directory.. plus what do you mean about links.. are this directory link to another directory.. meaning if i move it and not link them to the specific directory.. is it going to cause a problem.. well thanks for your hlep dude.. im learning everyday cuzz of this board thanks alot dude..

Depending on your system, something like:

#/bin/cp -rp  /var    /home/export

#/bin/rm /var

#/bin/ln -sf /home/export/var    /var

You should 'get the idea' from the example above. You can check the man pages on your system to insure that is what you want to do before actually executing any commands ":slight_smile:

THanks dude your the guru.. man..
ONE day i will become a guru just like you dude.. alright man..
THANks for everything!!!!!!!!