/ directory is 100% full

Dear experts
My / directory shows 100% full. What should I do???
What is normal size and
how can I prevent it.
I am using Solaris 8 on an Ultra 60.
Thanks for your advises.
Reza

First, don't do what this person did

Next, look to see how your filesystems are laid out - is everything under / ? If you do a df -kl, what shows up?

If /var is not it's own partition, then you can look into /var/adm/ to see if there are files you can trim down - it's up to you to not delete something that is needed. Check /var/crash/`hostname` for any core files such as unix.xx and vmcore.xx (where xx is a number). These can be removed with no issues.

Check for core files in / - these are usually large and are caused when a application or program crashes and leaves a core file for diagnostics. Check when each was made (ls -l filename) and the type of file it is (file filename).

I have found a user home directory defined under /usr , does it affect??

That depends on what decisions were made when your OS was installed. We have no way of telling what filesystems you have. Post the output from the command "df -k".

If you want to find problem yourself -
first - see the output of df to exclude other mount points
then use du
for example
# du -d / - whis can help you to locate
it will show size of folders in root directory.
then go to the biggest directory and type
# ls -Fha - whis command show you all files and ther sizes in human readable format.
if you will not find big files but you will see big directory
# cd big_directory
and again use du and ls
repeat this until you find too big file (may be it will be look like some_thing.core)

may be this help you.

Thanks for your reply. It helped me a lot.

Thanks a lot for sending me replies. I could manage it by removing those crash and core files and some other files. Now I have 47% used space in / directory.
Thanks again